Your Global Partner for Innovative Connectivity Solutions
- Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated connectivity solutions that connect, protect and control critical applications in the Rail market.
- Reliability is the essential attribute in the leading edge technologies that we utilize.
- We offer proven quality, innovative and environmentally friendly solutions conforming to the main international railway standards.
- Our application expertise ensures the design and manufacturing of cost-effective product platforms as well as completely tailored solutions from harshest railway conditions to harshest environmental conditions, including connectors, cable assemblies, and microwave.
NEW Product Highlight
Intercompact Series optimized and qualified for next generation Electronic Control Units
The Intercompact Series is Smiths Interconnect’s answer to the rail and industrial market growing demand for compact, high-speed, and reliable connectivity for ECU boxes, in the respect of severe material and electric current requirements.
“The new generation of Electronic Control Unit boxes requires a sophisticated interconnect solution able to support steadily all I/O signals that the advanced devices handle.“ said Mark Kelleher, Vice President and General Manager of the Connector Business Unit at Smiths Interconnect. “The new Intercompact Series is designed to offer a dependable interconnect solution that is more compact than those currently available in the marketplace, offering significant space and weight savings to our customers” he added.
The Intercompact Series is an innovative solution for PCB to PCB and floating mouting rack and panelIntercompact Connectors Application applications currently offered in both signal and Ethernet versions. Designed to meet the requirements of the rail and industrial environments, it is also suitable for other demanding markets such as defence, space and test & measurement.
The Intercompact Series offers:
- 60 and 41 way signal configurations with Hypertac® Hyperboloid contacts.
- 42 ways signal and 1 or 2 high speed quadrax 100 Ohm contacts as Ethernet versions. Additional contact positions can be offered depending on the specific application requirements.
- Compliance with the main European Railway standards (EN45545-2, NF F61030, EN50155:2017, STM-S-001ind.D and more).
- Compliance with MIL-C-28748 and MIL-STD-202-301 standards and EIA and IEC standards for Contact Resistance and Environmental testing.
- Insulators in Liquid Cristal Polymer material for an optimized insulation resistance in severe environment conditions.
Dedicated Rail Product Team with over 100 years of collective experience 4-Step Design Process
- Collaborated visits to understand customers’ requirements
- Conceptual designs / cost estimates
- Prototype / Proof of Concept
- Pre-production to Production
Our application expertise ensures the design and manufacturing of cost effective product platforms as well as completely tailored solutions for the harshest railway conditions:
- Custom housings & cable assemblies
- Environmental sealing
- Compliance with the most stringent railway standards
- Rapid prototyping
- Extensive test laboratory
- Highest performance contact technologies continually driving down cost of ownership
Following the evolution of the rail mobility
The request for faster, safer and more comfortable services has grown proportionally in the rail industry over the recent years and the last two decades have seen exponential growth in the use of technology towards the evolution of very sophisticated transport system where the performance of components is more and more critical.
Intercompact connector series consolidates the strong partnership with Grafikontrol
Grafikontrol recently turned to Smiths Interconnect for an interconnect solution; this was for a new register control system for automatic graphic control in machines for commercial and newspaper printing.
Smiths Interconnect helps keep rail passengers informed
As sophisticated as rail services have become, the hyper-connected nature of this mode of travel means that even the slightest hitch with one train or line can have a knock-on effect on the overall timetable. Train operators meticulously prepare for such eventualities. Part of their fastidious response in such a situation is to keep the passengers regularly informed. As a result, over the last couple of decades both network (infrastructure) and train (service) operators have invested greatly to advance Passenger Information Systems (PISs).
On Demand Webinar
Today's challenges and opportunities for a sustainable railway transport connectivity
The train of the future will have higher needs in terms of bandwidth, functionalities and service quality: digitalisation, CO2 footprint, smart power distribution, operational standardization and regulations compliance are key areas of opportunities for the railway post-pandemic sector to improve their competitiveness.